Tuesday, January 06, 2009

A Wii bit hypocritical

If I have said it once, I have said it a million times. We are not going to get video games. My kids can go to their neighbors like I did to play Space Invaders, Frogger, and all those other cutting age games they have these days. I talk about it incessantly, shout it out loud from the rooftops, and roll my eyes at everyone who has given in to the temptation of nintendos, playstations, or anything of that sort. I hate the idea of video games so much that I have a violent physical reaction to the vision of my kids vegging out in front of the TV playing Grand Theft Auto or anything that involves guns, crashing, or violence of any sort. So what, you ask, am I doing with a Wii in my basement?

Well, you see, I asked for it. I asked for it when I made all of these declarations professing myself holier than thou for never allowing a video game in my house, and I also asked for it when I mentioned that I would want a Wii Fit for Christmas. And my parents, you know, the ones who didn't let us have video games, didn't have cable, and only TIVO public television, bought me a Wii and Wii Fit for Christmas.

And you know what? It is SO cool and I can't stop. I'm the one who is in the basement by herself playing golf, doing her exercises, and figuring out how the hell to hit a backhand in tennis.

And you know what? I'm sore. I'm sore from the lunges, the yoga, and the laughing because I can't ski jump AT ALL. My son keeps saying, "I hope you don't make a big snowball again Mommy."

I'm also sore from the boxing match that I had with my 4 year old. I'm not sure it is a healthy way for us to be interacting right before dinner, but it sure was fun. He was was jumping up and down each time he knocked me to the ground, and I was secretly smiling each time I gave him a good blow to the head.

I'm a hypocrite, I know. I just have to hope that pretend boxing your mom is less scarring than blowing up cars. It certainly was more fun than what I should have been doing, making dinner.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

i have never been tempted by video games before, and, like you, have proclaimed my loathing of them maybe a bit too loudly at times b/c i want a Wii!

Anonymous said...

ha ha! This is too funny:) I think the image of your kids turning into zombies, or maniacs who like to blow things up, shoot people, and crash cars, is a good reason to outlaw video games! BUT, the Wii is good! You are active, NOT a zombie, and you are spending time together. Just the same as playing Candy Land, except more bouncing around, and that is good, right?!

A Jersey Girl said...

Too Funny! I was like that, but the Wii is awesome!!!

Unknown said...

As someone who currently works in the video game industry I must of course take issue with some of your comments. Your Wii belongs in the living room, not stuck down in the basement! Also, you have to get the Shaun White snowboarding game (it uses the balance board) and of course Guitar Hero. You'll never sleep again!

Beth HF said...

Oh we love Wii! We don't have one but Uncle Ned brings his to the beach and we all become a bunch of kids throwing imaginary bowling balls at the screen and holding a beer/wine glass in the other hand.Some Wii matches havebeen known to last til' the wee hours. Jamie and I got into Wii Lego Star Wars last summer and I could tell that he thought his mom was pretty cool for figuring out that R2D2 could FLY! (Some button I pushed?)