Sunday, September 28, 2008

Terrible Two's...My arse

When you have kids, you receive a lot of advice. Some of it you ask for, and well honestly, most of it is unsolicited. My mother, however, has really held back on giving me too much advice in any arena. In fact, she claims she doesn't remember anything about our childhood just so she doesn't have to admit that my 4 year old is WAY more of a handful than my sister and I ever were (if this is the case, I am REALLY in trouble come high school!). But one thing that she did say to me that I keep repeating to myself over and over and over and over again is, "whoever called it the terrible two's just didn't have a 4 year old yet."

She is really on to something here. We have recently entered the stage of "I am SO mad at you", "I don't like you anymore", "You are SO mean", "You are not my friend". This accompanied by a symphony of screaming in frustration, slamming doors, stomping feet...it is such a pleasure to be around here. Don't you want to come visit?

So now I am asking for some advice...or at least some sort of psychic reading...when does this end? When does my loveable, polite, even tempered boy make an appearance. When does he stop having the ability to make my blood pressure rise to unhealthy levels, when do I stop being embarassed by his actions, when am I sure that he will grow to be a stable adult?

You know what my mom said? "I'll let you know when it happens for me."

Fan-freakin-tastic.

3 comments:

Whitney said...

Blake-

I can so relate and you are not alone!!I am getting "I am so mad at you" all the time. I think they have been talking alot about "feelings" in school, so I know Austin is always saying he is mad, upset, angry...Does that mean to can tell him how I am feeling too???

Wenchy said...

I think each age group bring along their own 'terrible' bit!

Beth HF said...

I think I can talk about this forever...Jamie hit 2.5 and ever since then it has been, the terrible twos, threes, fours and now goody the terrible fives...each with their uniques brand of "funness". I asked my mom about it too and she said basically...I don't know, you're on your own there, you kids were pretty good. I think it's payback time for something else I MUST have done to have such a challenging child:) Colin though is still happy go lucky and Anna too, fingers crossed!