Wednesday, February 27, 2008

A small step in the right direction

So I haven't been having much luck with my resolutions/ new habits/ lent sacrifices (those who are paying attention, you are right, I'm not even Catholic but LOVE the idea of challenging myself to give up something). Since January 1, 2008 I have not:
  • found a new career to make me lots of money and insanely happy at the same time
  • lost the remaining of my baby weight plus the extra 10 I have carried around since the first time leg warmers were in style
  • stopped complaining about things that really are not in my control (I think this one is helpless, but it remains on my list nonetheless!)

Yesterday, however, I made a small step in the right direction. I kept my grocery bill to less than $150. In fact, it was only $120. As I was watching the tally grow on the screen in front of me it was like I was watching my favorite horse win the Preakness. yes, yes, go , go, yes, yes, GO, GO, YES, YES, YES. YES! YES! Or maybe it was more like that scene from When Harry Met Sally. You know the one.

Either way it was SO satisfying.

Today I am feeling incredibly successful and hopeful so I am adding one more things to my list and posting ithere so someone keeps me accountable. As of today:

  • TV will not be turned on during the "day time" hours. That means from breakfast until dinner. Mostly this is for me, so I can get more done during nap time and spend less time watching Ellen...but I am hoping that we all benefit from the music that will replace the drone of the Food Network in the background (not like I was ever really going to make that leg of lamb anyway...it's not in the budget!)

Wish me luck...and I wish you the same with your goals!

No comments: