Thursday, February 21, 2008

His first love


It all started a few weeks ago. We got an e-mail from pre-school introducing us to the new student in our class. I encouraged the little boy to be nice to her, tell her his name, play with her on the playground, etc. Little did I know that I was encouraging the first great love affair.


So over the course of the past few weeks I have been hearing more and more about this girl. We sent her a special valentine, we learned how to spell her name, and we talk about her incessantly in the car on the way home from school. Still, I wasn't thinking much about this, he simply had a new friend.


That all changed on Wednesday when one of his teachers, as I was dropping him off at school, said, "Has Will told you about his new girlfriend?"


Slam on the brakes....WHAT????...girlfriend-girlfriend???


As relaxed as telling me that he painted a picture at school, she said, "yup...and they are totally smitten. Have a good day! " Slam the door. As the horns started honking from behind me in the car line, the freak out began. Hold on ladies...my boy has a girlfriend???


Still, I wasn't thinking too much about it. I did sneak up to school early so I could check her out (totally adorable, he does have good taste!), called the hubby to report and wept quietly that he was growing up so fast.


It wasn't until his other pre-school teacher called me that afternoon to talk about the relationship between said girl and my son did the true freak out begin. She started out by saying that he had impeccable taste (A+ in parent management to her...always start with a compliment) but that sometimes he was very sad if she didn't want to sit next to him, swing with him...the list went on. So my son is a stalker??? No, she insisted that wasn't the case, but he was "very invested in the relationship." Since when did we use this sort of language for 3 year olds???


SUPER FREAK OUT GOING ON NOW.


I don't know what to make of this whole thing. But all I can say is that it completely took me by surprise. In my list of neurosis...having a girlfriend hadn't even made it to the list yet and now it is at the top. Was it like this when I was 3.5? And why am I taking comfort in the fact that she is so cute, bright, and mature? Can this really predict what might happen in the future? And if so...watch out girls...I'm on the fast train to crazy-town!


1 comment:

Boom said...

Oh....this breaks my HEART in HALF!! NOOooooo!!

I'm not sure if I feel this way because he's "invested in the relationship"...or if it's because this perfect little girl he adores IS NOT MY DAUGHTER.

I love him.