Tuesday, February 12, 2008

$15/ person...really?

OK..if you know me at all, or my husband for that matter, you know that the writers' strike has really challenged our relationship. I mean, seriously, if nothing is on, does that mean that we have to talk to one another? Noooo...it just means we have to find something to watch.

But sometimes it isn't just the lack of TV that challenges us, it is what we choose to watch. The other night I found myself engrossed in a marathon of Jon and Kate + 8 on TLC. The premise is that Jon and Kate have 7 year old twins and 3 year old sextuplets. I watched for hours in awe how they managed to feed, clothe, take out to public places, and control these 8 kids while still staying sane. Don't get me wrong, they lose their patience, yell, and even bicker with each other. But no more than my husband and I do. It is amazing.

It is so amazing that I can't stop thinking about one episode; the one when Kate goes to the grocery store (this is nearly as exciting as 24 people, I tell you!). Imagine going grocery shopping for 10 people...and only once a week. I can barely go for 4 and I end up at the store multiple times each week.

And if that sounds challenging, imagine trying to keep your bill less than $150. FOR TEN PEOPLE! I find it hard to keep MY bill under $150. If I were on Kate's budget, I would only get $60 a week. You've got to be kidding me.

But in the spirit of trying something new and paying for my $3700 transmission (thanks Volvo!) I'm going to give it the old college try. I guess if it is the old college try it means that we'll be eating Ramen noodles and drinking Natural Light. But if I drink like I did in college, that will blow my $15 right away. And I digress.

I'll let you know how it goes, but don't expect miracles. Unlike Huckabee, I tend to believe the mathematics major rather than the miracles major.

2 comments:

emma said...

Hi Blake - love your blog - I can't shop under $150 a week & we're still at 3 1/2 people. One thing they didn't mention in that episode is that Kate bought half a cow two years running, so most (if not all) of her meat is bought outside of that grocery bill. I'm pretty sure lunches at her house are no more complicated than a box of mac & cheese or grilled cheese, never mind some of those great kid options I always find at trader joes (meatballs, chicken strips)

Boom said...

where are you? you need to get busy and blog some more...because you're TAGGED. check my site.

i can't WAIT for yours.