Sunday, April 06, 2008

It's not easy being green...or is it?

Back in the day, I was a grocery checker. And I was damn good at it too. I almost was promoted to work at the courtesy counter to sell cigarettes and condoms, but the offer came just as I had to go back to college (DAMN, I would have been extra-good at that job). I even belonged to the Grocery Workers Union of America (ok, not sure that is what it was really called, but regardless of their name, they took $5 from each paycheck!)


While not high paying, not particularly thought provoking, and honestly, not terribly good on my resume, the job still has many effects on me to this day. Every time I go to the store (a mere 3 or 4 times a week) I cringe having to watch the checkers try to figure out just what is the vegetable code for fava beans, or are they lima beans, or wait...are they soy beans? Crap! (I still remember that cucumbers are 4032) I refuse to leave my cart and "just run back for one more thing" UGHHH! And most cringe inducing for me is watching the checker try to organize your groceries in those awful plastic bags.


Paper or plastic? I would ask.


Can you do paper inside of plastic? followed by that punch in the smacker smirk


Suuure. I would respond....though screaming in my head...NOT ONE OF THE OPTIONS F*%K FACE.


So when I saw them offered at my good old Harris Teeter, I just knew I HAD to buy their reusable bags. For a mere $.99 a bag, you solve all packing issues for both you and your checker. The bag is sturdy, it has a flat bottom, and it holds a ton. I was so excited when I saw them, I bought 8, but I have never had to use more than 4 on any given trip. And, let's not forget the fact that I no longer have 55 million plastic bags shoved in the bottom of my pantry.


These bags are pure heaven.


So now, when I go to the store I become that condescending woman. You know, the one that smiles and says...you have it so easy...because seriously all you checkers out there...you do. And if you piss me off...I'm going to ask for paper in plastic. smile.

1 comment:

Linda said...

yes, that's what I thought too. I am from the belief that canvas bags rule as grocery bags. I love how in Europe they CHARGE you for bags so you usually remember to bring your own. But the Harris Teeter ones....be careful. Mine ripped after 3 weeks in several places. I was so pissed. Ugh! But I'm with you. Hate shopping bags. it's a giant waste of everything.