Monday, November 24, 2008

The basement...a love story

I never grew up with an appreciation for a basement. Well, that isn't entirely true. I appreciated that I could always sneak down to the damp, dark dungeon and steal a bottle of Chardonnay when I was 16...but it was a quick and undetectable maneuver. I never spent a lot of time in our basement.

So when my husband insisted that we have a basement in our house I was indifferent. Sounds good, I said, and never thought much more about it. And honestly, for the first year that we lived here I remained indifferent. Sure it was a great space, but the little boy didn't ever want to be there by himself...so what was the point? That was, until this week.

Indifference has morphed into infatuation. I love the basement these days. You see, for the past week I have sent both kids to the basement and turned right back around, walked upstairs, and listened to...silence. Having his sister downstairs provides the right amount of company to make it the fun place my husband always knew it would be. Every day before school I hear, "Come on little girl let's go play army men." And she goes. And every night they run down there to play after dinner.

And quickly and undetectably, I sneak back upstairs to enjoy a bottle of Chardonnay. Old basement habits die hard.

2 comments:

Beth HF said...

So funny....Colin and Jamie have recently discovered that YES, they can play in the basement without me...wow, it only took 5 years! And now when the neighborhood kids are over (and these days they flock to our house, must be the basement full of toys) they all go down there and I am none the wiser...and can actually watch Oprah!

Baby Bunching said...

Oh....as it should be. I love our basement. Computers (2), a wall of toys and a door that closes! :-)