Friday, June 20, 2008

Take the good, take the bad

Our life works in extremes.

One day it is 105 degrees outside, the next 75.
One day we have a million things to do, the next we have nothing on our calendar.
One day I'm skinny, the next I'm fat (no...now I'm exaggerating...it takes much more than a day!)
And one day kids are perfect and the next day...well...not so much.

For example:

Two days ago there was no napping in the house. None to speak of, not even a quick 10 minute close your eyes and stop the screaming/yelling/whining for a minute. So, for those of you who don't know, no napping leads to cranky kids and EXTREMELY cranky mommies. I can't even quantify the level of crankiness. But let me try:

(cranky kids+cranky mommy)x daddy gone for the night=very serious situation
By the time bedtime finally came around baby girl was thrown into bed with a wipe stuck to the back of her head and little boy nearly had his head smacked in with a large bedtime book (in my defense he had me read the whole long, rhyming, hard to pronounce book and when we got to the second to the last page declared, "I don't like this one, I want another." You'll be happy to know that no abuse occurred, I just got up and left the room)
But thank goodness the extreme occurred yesterday. After a morning of playing with a friend, napping, and iced coffees we were off to a good start. Followed by a quiet afternoon and some exercising...I didn't think things could get much better. But then it happened. Playing with the new "talkie talkies" the little boy was in the basement and kept saying to me (in the kitchen by myself with a glass of wine) "Mommy, I love you. Over and Out" "Mommy, I love you, 10-4" Seriously...I can't even remember what went wrong earlier this week.
(good naps + quiet time +coffee+exercising)x spontaneous I love you's=perfection
I'll take the bad, if that's the good I get. And as long as none of this has to do with talking about the Facts of Life.

No comments: